A Brief History of Arkadelphia, Arkansas

Historic marker in Clark County, Arkansas.

Arkadelphia, county seat of Clark County, Arkansas, is located on the Ouachita River, seventy-five miles south of Little Rock. Farming and timber are the two mainstays of the local economy. The site was settled in about 1812 by John Hemphill, operator of a nearby salt works, Arkansas’s first industry. It was known as Blakelytown until 1839, when the settlement adopted the name Arkadelphia. Origin of the name Arkadelphia is uncertain. One possibility is that it was formed by combining Ark- from the state’s name Arkansas and adelphia from the Greek meaning “brother/place”. Arkadelphia was once known as the City of Rainbows, because the humid climate often resulted in rain (Wikipedia, 2019).


Citation

(2019, Jul. 26). Arkadelphia, Arkansas. Retrieved from en.wikipedia.org.