Spadra, which had an Indian Trading Post, was the first county seat of Johnson County, Arkansas, convenient to steamboat lines. However when stagecoach and train transportation became more common, land routes from Little Rock to Fort Smith were directed along higher elevations through Clarksville. As Clarksville grew, it became the location for the county seat, probably due to severe flooding at Spadra (Johnson, 2013). Clarksville was established by survey in November 1836 after Johnson County was formed from part of Pope County (Mickel, n.d.). Clarksville is widely known for its peaches, scenic byways, and abundance of natural outdoor recreational activities.
Johnson, Jennifer Koenig. (2013, Oct. 29). Spadra (Johnson County). Retrieved from encyclopediaofarkansas.net.
Mickel, Lillian. (n.d.). Johnson County, Arkansas. Retrieved from johnsoncounty.arkansas.gov.