A Brief History of De Queen, Arkansas

De Queen and Eastern Railroad No. 350, an Alco 4-6-0, bringing in a load of Pine Logs for the Dierks Lumber and Coal Company Sawmill in De Queen ca. 1906. Photo courtesy of Classic Streamliners-Traincyclopedia.

De Queen is the county seat of Sevier County, Arkansas. The history of the city of De Queen is entwined with the construction of the Kansas City Southern Railroad. The KCS railroad connects Kansas City, Missouri, to the Gulf of Mexico at Port Arthur, Texas. The KCS railroad was extended through a frontier settlement known as Hurrah City that later became De Queen. De Queen was named after Jan de Goeijen, a Dutch coffee merchant who helped finance the completion of the railroad. However, de Goeijen’s name was difficult for area residents to pronounce and the name was eventually changed to De Queen. The City of De Queen became the county seat of Sevier County in 1905 and has steadily grown into a prosperous community (City, 2019).


Citation

(2019). City of De Queen, City History. Retrieved from cityofdequeen.com.