Fayetteville is the third-largest city in Arkansas and the county seat of Washington County. The city is centrally located within the county and has been home of the University of Arkansas since the institution’s founding in 1871. On February 27, 1835, President Andrew Jackson issued a patent for 160 acres forming the original settlement of Fayetteville. This land was bound by what is now College Avenue on the east, Gregg Avenue on the west, Dickson Street on the north, and South Street on the south. All of the lots except the Square, were auctioned off between 1835 and 1837, raising $6,339 in the course of 169 sales. The money was used to erect a courthouse and Clerk’s Office. In 1836, Fayetteville’s first brick house, a schoolhouse, was built on what is now called School Avenue, between Meadow and Center Streets, and a military road was cut through Fayetteville en route from St. Louis, Missouri, to Fort Smith, Arkansas. County commissioners chose the name Fayetteville because two of the commissioners, James Buchanan and John Woody, hailed from Fayetteville, Tennessee (City, n.d.).
(No date). City of Fayetteville Arkansas. Retrieved from fayetteville-ar.gov.