A Brief History of Harrison, Arkansas

General Marcus Larue Harrison

Harrison, the county seat of Boone county, is in the Ozark Mountains on Crooked Creek, 80 miles south of Springfield, Missouri. The Union General Marcus Larue Harrison laid out the town site in about 1860. The arrival in 1900 of the Missouri and North Arkansas Railway spurred development and transformed Harrison into a shipping point for livestock, dairy products, timber, limestone, dolomite, and marble. Tourism became significant after completion of the White River dams, which created such recreational areas as Bull Shoals Lake and State Park (to the northeast). Buffalo National River and sections of Ozark National Forest are to the south, and several limestone caves are nearby (Britannica, 2014).


Citation

Encyclopedia Britannica. (2014, Aug. 1). Harrison. Retrieved from britannica.com.