Lincoln is located in Washington County in northwest Arkansas on Highway 62 halfway between Prairie Grove and the Oklahoma state line. Heavily influenced by the apple industry through most of its history, Lincoln has been home to the Arkansas Apple Festival since 1976. Early settlers of this part of Arkansas brought two primary commodities: corn seed and apple sprouts or shoots, with corn being their primary staple. Many of the early settlers had Native American roots and were accustomed to relying on corn for themselves and their livestock. Most settlers also used the apple to a great extent. Cider was a drink of choice, vinegar was an essential preservative, and the fruit could be cooked, stored, or dried for preservation. The soil around Lincoln seemed well suited for orchards. Earl Holt, son of early settler Jack Holt, established the first known commercial nursery in 1850. His father had begun cultivating apples by 1827. Earl Holt’s brother DeKalb was credited with developing the Arkansas Black apple. In 1884, some settlers began to call the settlement Georgetown. The post office was established in Joseph Liburn Carter’s store that year. When they applied for postal service, townspeople learned that a Georgetown already existed in neighboring Madison County. After consultations with many residents, Carter began using the name Lincoln for the post office (Davis, 2018).
Davis, Boyce R. (2018, Jun. 19). Lincoln (Washington County). Retrieved from encyclopediaofarkansas.net.