Sulphur Springs in Benton County is only one of many communities in Arkansas that bear that name. Located near the Missouri and Oklahoma borders, it was an important spa and resort center in the late 1800s. The original city site contained numerous natural mineral springs, including a rare lithium spring. The reported healing properties of these springs led to the creation of a small community; a post office was established on April 26, 1878, and the city was formally laid out in 1885. Sulphur Springs was designated a terminal for what became the Kansas City Southern Railway, and the first train arrived in 1891. The city remained the end of the rail line for two years and hotels and other enterprises were quickly established (Staff, 2018).
Staff of the CALS Encyclopedia of Arkansas. (2018, Jul. 18). Sulphur Springs (Benton County). Retrieved from encyclopediaofarkansas.net.