The School Begins
The El Dorado church made plans to open a school for the 1940-1941 school year (Record, 1940). They closed at some point, then during the summer of 1954, the members of the El Dorado church, realizing the need of a church school, decided to do something about it. When school opened in September that year there were sixteen pupils and their teacher, Mrs. G. E. Boatwright (Lighthall, 1955).
For the 1956-1957 school year, the El Dorado school became a home school and closed at the end of the school year. The school reopened for the 1960-1961 school year. The teacher of the school that year was Tilitha Taylor. Her husband was a laboratory technician in Smackover, Arkansas. Jack Robinette, a colporteur in El Dorado, and his wife were instrumental in getting the Taylors to move to El Dorado, not only to serve as a technician but also to teach. Even though there were only three pupils, the church believed that every one was most precious in the sight of the Master and having a school was important (Winger, 1961). The school closed after that school year (Report, 1961).
(1940, Mar. 20). Southwestern Union Record, p. 3.
(1956-1961). Teacher’s Opening Report. Shreveport, LA: Arkansas-Louisiana Conference of SDA.
Lighthall, W. J. (1955, Apr. 13). Southwestern Union Record, p. 5.
Winger, Don M. (1961, Feb. 15). Ibid., p. 5.