The School Begins
In August of 1959, the new Gonzales church was dedicated. With a membership of almost ninety, it was felt that a church school was greatly needed for the children. In June 1960, Elder D. M. Winger, Educational Secretary of Arkansas-Louisiana, met with the board and gave good counsel. Since there was no school building, the board voted to start a school in September 1960, using the Sabbath school rooms as the school. Miss Georgette Gelineo, one of the young people from Hammond, was hired as teacher. The enrollment was twelve, and the school enjoyed a very good year. The men in the church worked hard getting supplies and everything in order for a fine school. Elders A. L. Broussard and Aubrey Fautheree both worked untiringly getting desks, blackboards, and other equipment (Ray, 1961). The school closed at the end of the 1965-1966 school year (Report, 1965).
(1965). Teacher’s Opening Report. Shreveport, LA: Arkansas-Louisiana Conference of SDA.
Ray, J. L. (1961, Feb. 15). Southwestern Union Record, p. 5.