The C. L. Wickwire family moved to Pocahontas in 1939 and were the first Seventh-day Adventists there. In their hearts was a dream of an active church and school. With the passing of the years God blessed Mrs. Wickwire’s ceaseless efforts and the little group of Adventists grew (Morton, 1955). In October 1948, the church members in Pocahontas began building a new church (Kretz, 1950). Four years later school rooms were added under the guidance of Elder J. D. Nichols. In 1953 it looked as if there might be eight students available, so twenty desks were purchased. That same year Mrs. Wickwire passed away. Eighteen months later, on September 1, 1954, eight boys and girls enrolled in the first Pocahontas church school. By January, twelve students were attending, with several of them learning to pray publicly for the first time (Morton, 1955).
Kretz, R. L. (1950, Feb. 22). Southwestern Union Record, p. 4.
Morton, Curtis R. (1955, Jan. 19). Ibid., p. 3.