In the summer of 1926, Elder W. S. North and a group of workers went to West Helena to hold tent meetings for the black people there. As a result, a mission school was opened and by the end of the school year, there were thirty students. The school kept the Adventist message alive in that area and on September 17, 1927, the Bethel Seventh-day Adventist Church in West Helena was organized with seventeen members (Dasent, 1927). This was the first Seventh-day Adventist church in that area (Montgomery, 1927). Plans were also made to open a church school with Miss Bertha Cade, a graduate from Oakwood, as the teacher (Dasent, 1927).
Dasent, J. Gershom. (1927, Sept. 27). Southwestern Union Record, p. 2.
Montgomery, R. P. (1927, Oct. 3). Ibid., p. 2.